NAMI Basics is a free, six-session program designed for parents and other family caregivers of children and adolescents with emotional and behavioral difficulties. NAMI Basics helps parents and other family caregivers understand the mental health conditions that may be causing these behavioral difficulties and the critical role families play in the treatment of those conditions. The program is taught by trained teachers who are also parents/family caregivers whose children experienced emotional or behavioral difficulties.
What are the goals?
● To give the parent/caregiver the fundamental information necessary to be an effective caregiver
● To help the parent/caregiver cope with the impact that emotional and behavioral difficulties have on the child and the entire family
● To provide tools for the parent/caregiver to use even after completing the program that will assist them in making the best decisions possible for the care of the child
● To help the parent/caregiver take the best care possible of the entire family – especially themselves
What you will gain:
● Information covering issues frequently faced by families dealing with a child or teen with mental illness
● Connection with other parents and/or caregivers
● The latest research on the medical aspects of the illness and advances in treatment
● An overview of treatment options- treatment works
● An overview of the systems involved in caring for children and teens and the importance of record keeping
“I now realize other parents are struggling too. Thanks for helping me through a challenging time in my life and supplying me with the knowledge I need to help my son succeed.”